Wednesday 6 February 2013

Shelley Rhodes

After starting machine embroidery this week, I wanted to have a look at artists who used machine embroidery in their work. Shelley Rhodes combines stitch, paper, drawings and prints. She gradually builds up layers, editing and altering as the work progresses. Her recent work focuses on what happens to a surface through wear and tear, manipulation and distress. She focuses on the marks, patterns and colours found on discarded objects and fragments.


This piece in particular reminds me of some ink experiments I did at the start of my project. It incorporates stitch sophisticatedly to create these long hanging pieces. 


I also like these delicate luggage tags with stitch holding together various collaged papers. As well as liking the look of this piece, I like the arrangement of the tags. As I am representing my chromatography data in a similar way, I could now consider creating multiple small, similar samples, and present them in the same way.



1 comment:

  1. I love your stuff, the colors and rhythms remind me of the great outdoors and weathered surfaces. I never though to using stitches to connect collage papers. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete